Sunday, February 15, 2015

When it rains, it pours

There are two seasons in Uganda: rainy and dry. Dry season is no fun, but I didn’t mind it so much last year because it would still rain a bit and be somehow cool where I had been living. Here in the east, it’s a different story! I haven’t seen rain since Christmas… until today! It’s amazing how you can feel the dust being beat to the ground by each drop that falls. The loud crash of water hitting my tin roof is music to my ears! And I’m in love with the whole “not sweating in my house all the time” thing. Let’s raise our glasses to bid farewell to the constant dust layer covering everything and welcome instead, the muddy shoes and never dry laundry!

*clank*

It seems that bad things always happen in clusters. Let’s review the following week:
1. The nails in my back door hinge came out of the frame as I was closing up for the night.
2. The water was out from the tap I fetch from when I was having people come the next day.
3. My computer fan died and then my screen went totally black…

But with every negative there is always a positive. Let’s review the outcomes of each:
1. I got to feel awesome by balancing the door on a rock as I nailed my door back in.
2. My pupils were nice enough to fetch water from the borehole at the college until the water came back to the tap. Then my friends who came helped me fetch even more water from that.
3. My faith and confidence in Ugandans was restored by meeting Fred, who took apart, cleaned/fixed, and then reassembled my computer like it was nothing. It’s now working better than it has in a long time. Also, he only charged me half price!

Probably the most terrifying moment of my life,
but a job well done!
Also, disgusting dust clog.
Yuck.
Speaking of books,
my pupils keep bringing me them
because they 'love me' and
they saw me reading at school.
Oh Uganda... :P
Tomorrow starts the 3rd week of school. I’ve had a good 1st two weeks at the new place. I like all of my teachers and it’s very convenient living so close. My counterpart was assigned a transfer to another school, but we went to talk to the district education officer and she got to come back! I hope she can stay all year because she is AWESOME. There are a lot more pupils at this school than at my last which is a little overwhelming, but I’ve begun doing reading assessments with the P4 pupils so I can start reading groups. There are a lot of other things I’m ready to get into motion as well. Like on Tuesday, some teachers and I are taking 2 pupils from each class on a field trip to the library in town. They’ll learn how to use a library properly so they can share that knowledge with their classmates for how to use our school library.

The P4 class. Wow.
So cuuuute!
Fun story: Bats live in my roof. Usually they don’t disturb me other than dropping things and making noise. The other night I woke up to one of them being stuck on top of my mosquito net. (I work up a bit later to a mouse with the same problem) Then a couple nights after that, the bat somehow managed to get stuck under my bed. Friday, I walk into my room and there he is, just chillin’ on my bed post. So my friend helped me scoop him up in a can and release him outside. I’m sure he’ll find his way back and I can still hear a lot of creatures up there, but it was a total TIU (This Is Uganda) moment.

As I’ve mentioned, my new place is in a very convenient location so I’ve been having a lot of visitors. I had a very nice birthday lunch last week with my PCV neighbors and some more came this weekend for a Chinese New Year/Valentine’s Day celebration. Involved lots of good food of course. My house is finally all organized and I’ve also been keeping busy with other personal goals I’m wanting to work on this year.


Happy (late) Valentine's Day &
Xin Nian Kuai Le (next week)!
This year has started out really well and I’m feeling very happy to be here. Now, I’m going to go enjoy this rainy Sunday by drinking some tea while snuggled up on the couch watching a movie. Chocolate will probably be involved as well. As always, thanks for the love and support <3 <3


No comments:

Post a Comment