Thursday, October 1, 2015

What-ifs, What-nexts, and What-the-heck-is-this-dress?

Because I've been having way too many
freak-out, life-contemplating thoughts lately
and this picture reminds me what life's all about.
Enjoying it!
This past week, I went to my original site/village/school for the first time since I had to leave last November. I imagine the feeling I had going back there is going to be very similar to the feeling I’ll have when I go back home to the U.S. Everything was still so familiar and basically the same, only very small changes. The pupils surrounded me with hugs and I sat and talked with the teachers like I had just seen them yesterday. Felt like I hadn’t actually been away for a year. Their lives were still very much the same, but I had changed so much since the last time I saw them. Of course that’s a difficult thing to communicate and their eyes would glaze over after a few stories from my new site.

My old shopkeeper friend
and supervisor
My old school
My old counterpart and his family at home
I’m glad I went back. It gave me a sense of closure as well as a feeling of preparation for going home, but I couldn’t stop thinking “What if I would’ve stayed here? What would my service have been like? What would I be like? What would the school be like? Would there be any difference?” I then in turn related these questions to my life in general. “What if I wouldn’t have joined Peace Corps? What if I would have ignored the flyer for that study away information meeting? What if I wouldn’t have transferred to MSU? Would I still be in my hometown? Would I have settled down and began my career?” It’s wonderful that people can do that, but at this point in my life, it’s basically the opposite of what I’m wanting. I never would have imagined that about myself only a few short years ago and honestly, I’m super excited/terrified to see what happens in the upcoming ones, because I have absolutely no clue where I’m headed!

By the way, happy October! This is my personal favorite month. Favorite meaning in Missouri where the leaves are changing beautiful colors, the weather is turning to a refreshing coolness, and the festivities are comforting and fun (corn mazes, bon fires, hay rides, haunted houses, Halloween, etc.). As I lit the pumpkin spice candle I received in a package sometime back, I became a little sad that this is the 4th one I’ve missed. At the same time, I’m very thankful for all of the amazing opportunities I’ve been given and wouldn’t change anything. I can only wonder if I’ll be around for next year’s October at home… Guess I’ll just have to see where life takes me.

While I was traveling around the Southwest this week, I also got to hang with my original language training group! There’s just something special about the people you go through homestay with. I even got to see my host family and enjoy one final (delicious) meal with them <3


We've all changed so much!
...especially Carl ;)
Love the fam
It was a bit heartbreaking to say goodbye to all the friends I’ve made in my 1st region, but it was nice to come home to my 2nd region where I’ve also made some really great relationships. In fact, right before I left, I was invited to attend an introduction ceremony. This is the event that takes place before a wedding where the families meet and exchange gifts. Not only was it my 1st time to wear the traditional dress called a “Gomesi”, but also my 1st African/European wedding. My Ugandan friend married a Dutch man she’s been seeing for the last 20+ years. It was quite the experience. 

The bride and groom

My counterpart and I (me?)
in our lovely and super practical dresses

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts Hannah, and this one was particularly special!

    ReplyDelete