Saturday, March 22, 2014

Mawidge (and cows) is what bwings us together today

I attended my first Ugandan wedding today and like most things here, it was long, but fun! The groom was one of the sisters I live with’s nephew. I didn't know the bride, but one of her bridesmaids was a younger girl I also live with. The wedding party came to the compound to take pictures then we all headed to the house the ceremony/reception was taking place. They had already gone to the church before pictures. We got there and ate and drank then we were seated and waited for the wedding party to show up. There were SO many people there! I don’t usually feel like an out of place minority here, but let me tell ya, I could definitely feel my whiteness showing. The sisters laughed and translated a part of the speech from the groom for me when he said he was lucky to have a white at his wedding :P Everyone looked so smart! (What they say when someone dresses nice). The seating was set up in a square kind of shape instead of two rows with a walk way down the middle. One side was for the wedding party and the other three were full of guests. The gifts, speeches, and cake were done in the middle of the square. And dancing. So much dancing. The party danced down the walkway. Anytime anyone moved anywhere, the music played and they danced to their destination. Even if it was just three feet away. And the music was jumpin’ thanks to the very energetic MC. Gifts were given (goats and such) and entertainment was provided (a cross dressing man singing with girls dancing around). We went down the line to say hi to everyone and then we headed out so we could arrive home before it got dark. It’s not good to travel at night. I was a little sad to leave before the real dance party started though, but it’s ok. I still had a good time. Did I tell ya'll that a co-teacher of mine asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding?? I'll be dancing late into the night for that one I'm sure :D

Speaking of weddings and love type things… Funny story time!

Here in Uganda, if a man wants to marry a woman he gives cows to her family as payment for her. The more cows, the higher the value of the woman. I’ve heard that a really good cow can cost 1,000,000 UGX (Ugandan Shillings) which is about $400. They tell me that an average woman can go anywhere between 5-10 cows. So anyway, a few weeks ago I was in a small village with some other Peace Corps friends. A Ugandan man approaches the guys I was with, points at me, and says, “How much for that one? I like her.” WHAT! Luckily my friends were nice and made outrageous offers to him, but he still followed us asking until we go in a taxi and drove off XD This week, I was talking with a shop owner friend of mine and my head teacher saw us so I went over to talk to him and he said, “How many cows should I ask from him for you?” hahahaha! So mom, if you’re reading this, be ready for some cows to come off the plane instead of me ;)

Speaking of head teachers and school related things… Update!


School practice has started! “What does that mean, Hannah?” Glad you asked! It means that the students from the college who are studying to become teachers have to come to the primary schools to practice teaching for the next four weeks! So I have some “time off” if you will. Then the term is basically over and we have break until term two begins! :O

Also there was an athletics competition yesterday in town. I think 28 schools from the district were there. I got half way there on my bike and then felt a little sick so I went back home and chilled in my room reading and watching some tv shows on my computer. I felt much better by evening time, but by then it was too late. I’m sad to have missed it. At least I got to see some of my pupils practicing on our pitch at school! And they let me throw a discus! Which went terribly :P hahaha

Speaking of bikes… I bought a bike! Yay! Now I can get to town much easier! 25 minute ride instead of 1 hour walk. I've already made friends with the local bike shop owner guy who gave me some bananas and his super cute son who told me funny stories about his stubborn brother :)

Now here's something you'll really enjoy: Pictures!



Amigas <3
 I realized I don't think I have pix of my room... So even though it has nothing to do with the blog topic, here's some! :D


Taken from my doorway
I like pictures
Maybe too much?
Nahhhhh

And the other side!
Legit huh?
Thanks for visiting this post! It was great having you! Hope you enjoyed your stay. Please come again soon <3

P.S. I went over to my VSO friend's house for dinner the other day and she gave me a big jar of unopened Nutella cuz she doesn't like it. And I splurged and bought some muesli. Best day ever! Ok, now you can go :)

1 comment:

  1. My dear Hannah, it's so great to get news from you!
    I'm reading all the posts to get updated about... you know, everything :P

    I laughed a lot reading this one.
    I can only imagine Mrs. Long facial expression when she stares at cows landing in Springfield, Kans... Missouri.

    ;)

    Miss you tons!
    Chico

    ReplyDelete