Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Village time=Good times!

I know I just wrote a blog not that long ago, but I wanted to share some of the great experiences I’ve enjoyed these past few days…

Starting with what I just got done with!

The sisters I live with told me that today was their annunciation day where they renew their vows and that they were gonna celebrate in the evening time. Celebrations for them always mean good food so I was excited the whole day! Dinner consisted of matooke and millet of course, but also rice, mixed vegetables, chips (fries), sauce, chicken, and fish with cake for dessert! We had some visitors as well. Some other sisters and two fathers so the wine and beer was busted out. After we finished eating, they cranked up the music and pushed the furniture aside in the living room and we started dancing!

They made sure that my glass was topped off and one of the priests said he’d buy me for 7 cows so I should inform Obama. Also, they thought it was so funny to see me dance and were surprised. Us white people get a bad rep even here I guess :P Anyways, it was so much fun! Even now, I’m back in my room, but they are still going strong. I can hear all the laughs from here. Nuns keeping me up on a Tuesday night..... can you believe it? XD

Yesterday when I came home from school, two of them were watching 90's love song music videos. I got so excited and we sang and danced a bit to those as well! Then some other visitors were coming to visit and they joked exclaiming that I was going to be meeting their boyfriends ;) Our regular Mexican soap opera that we watch wasn’t on, but instead a Ugandan drama and they kept laughing about what terrible actors they were and how boring it was haha! Later, the two girls who are hired to help cook and clean here braided my hair. I’m really glad I live with all of them. They make these evenings at site exciting (which I hear doesn’t happen much in the Peace Corps life) and it reminds me of my housemates from back home :)

On Sunday, I meet up with my shop keeper friend. He closed up and we went for a hike up the hill behind my place. It was sooooo beautiful! Finally was able to look over my village in its entirety. See picture below! After heading down, he introduced me to his adorable 97 year old grandmother and then we went back to his shop where we shared some akotogo for lunch.

My village!
Beautifully labeled if I do say so myself
Ok, maybe not, but it's good reference!

My friend outside his shop
and some others
Part of my bustling trading center!
(shops to buy some things)
That's the hill we climbed in the background

In other school related news: This week is midterm exams so I’ve sat in to proctor some and have some English ones to mark, but it’s allowed me to get some serious reading in! Or some really good/funny conversations with the other teachers when we’re not busy. They’ve started serving posho and beans for lunch instead of matooke :/ but my best teacher friend always hooks me up with an avocado. I’m going to meet him in town tomorrow morning for the final district level athletics competition! One of my P4 pupils qualified to compete in it :’) So proud. They've been surrounding me when class is over and talking to me in Runyankore. They're super cute even if they are hoodlums sometimes.

Also it's rainy season which means the temperatures have been very favorable to me, but last night I was actually cold enough to sleep with fuzzy socks! It was wonderful!


So there ya go. Some inside stories to some of the great times I have here. Hope you enjoyed! I know I sure have ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment