Saturday, December 19, 2015

If this is to end in fire...

This will be my last blog entry in Uganda and I just can’t believe it.

I COSed! Meaning, I closed my service and am no longer a Peace Corps Volunteer! I finished! I’m done! It’s over! Can you imagine??

I took my COS trip to the DRC (Congo) to climb Mt. Nyiragongo which is an active volcano with a lava lake at the top. There are only 5(?) of these in the world! When I say wow I mean WOW! It was like looking into the center of the earth. The journey was long, the hike was tiresome, but reaching the top and looking down at that pit of spitting molten rock was the most amazing experience. It got better at night. The constant shifting and changing was memorizing to watch. You could hear the rumble, smell the sulfur, and feel the warmth on your face. It was simply awe inspiring to witness something of that magnitude. Also a little terrifying (Fantasia’s ‘end of the dinosaurs’ scene anyone?)

Now let’s talk more about how I actually finished Peace Corps. I spent some few days in Kampala at the office getting papers signed and doing medical tests to get ready to go. Turns out I had Giardia, but no symptoms which is weird. They shot me up with Novocaine at the dentist to fix a filling and I ended up chewing up my lip while it was numb, so I looked a bit silly with half a swollen mouth. I even got an industrial piercing! (fingers crossed no infections) But I made it through and got to hit the gong I’ve been walking by for the last two years at headquarters. What an exciting moment. Cheering from my fellow PCVs and other staff members who have been with me through it all. Hugs, smiles, and even a few tears. I gave the office a final look over before exiting through the gate and grabbing a boda (motorcycle that PCVs aren’t allowed to ride) to the nearest taxi.

I then proceeded back to site :P Now that’s something you don’t hear very often, but it was future site visit for the new group and my carrier was there so I wanted to go meet her and show her around the place. Talk about weird feelings. When I got off the taxi and saw my school, it felt like I was in a dream. Nothing felt right. Like I wasn’t supposed to be there. “Um, excuse me RPCV. Go home already.” kind of thing. But it was nice to be with the carriers. Made me seriously reflect on how I was feeling 2 years ago during my FSV and how much has happened since then. It’s just unbelievable what an incredible amount I’ve learned since reaching here.


Now my final day has at long last come. I’ve spent the day organizing, packing, receiving visitors, and saying goodbyes. It has been an emotional 13 hours since I woke up and it’s weird to think I’ll be on a plane at this time tomorrow, but at the same time I’m ready to be home. Uganda has been wonderful, not all the time of course, but looking back, I’m really glad I stuck it through. It’s taught me so much and has made me eager to continue exploring this vast (yet very small) world of ours. <3

1 comment:

  1. What the fakado!? That lava lake looks awesome. You've inspired me to put it on my bucket list. Love you, Hannah. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete