Monday, January 11, 2016

Finding happiness in "Missouri"

As Fall Out Boy says, the best of us can ;) (referring to the title) *ba dum ching!*

Home sweet home
Anyway, I’M BACK IN THE STATES! It’s been 3 weeks since I touched down and what a crazy busy/exciting/emotional time it’s been! Christmas, New Years, friends, family, Star Wars, food, more food, shopping, more friends, car stuff, more family, driving, planning future events, and packing leaves little time to stop and think about all the insaneness that is my head right now. But here I am. Writing one final blog to reflect on my time in Uganda.

By the way, I left Missouri yesterday and am now in Indianapolis at a couch surfer’s house on my way to New York where I will be starting my Americorps internship! Wow.

I feel like I’ve readjusted pretty well for the most part. There are certain things that bother me more than they used to and I’m a bit more sensitive to other things that didn’t faze me before I left. I also see things from a new angle of course as you’d expect, but I do feel like it’s been somehow easy for me to fall back into the “American way” of doing things.

The biggest thing I just can’t seem to get over is how easily accessible water is EVERYWHERE! When I landed, I was at my friend’s house and I took out my water bottle which was nearing empty so I apologized and asked if she had any water I could drink because I didn’t buy any. Then she gives me a funny look and points to the sink and my eyes go wide with excitement! How could I forget? Everything’s drinkable! :D

A funny counter-story to go along with this is when I was in the airport leaving Uganda, I went into the bathroom and was leaning over the sink looking into the mirror for a solid 2-3 minutes then I reach down to wash my hands and jump back because the sink is covered in vomit. I had kind of noticed it was brownish when I walked in, but everything’s a bit dirty/dusty/brownish tint. I had kind of noticed a bad smell, but when isn’t there? And when I went to the next sink over (vomit-free!) there wasn’t any water….

I think the point I’m trying to make, is that I do appreciate the conveniences of the states and being back with them has been really nice, but I will miss all the funny “What?” moments Uganda had to offer.

Let’s also talk about how FREEZING I am all the time!
……That’s basically all there is to say about that actually….. It’s winter. What did I expect?

I’m knocking the food items I’d been missing off my list and it’s been delicious.

I’ve already got to see 3 PCV friends which has been really nice. Being with them makes me feel like it wasn’t all just a dream and that 2 years of my life actually did happen because it seems a bit unreal sometimes. It’s also nice to have people who can fully understand stories and situations without having to explain everything.



On my drive out of Missouri, I was thinking about how very, very lucky I am to have been given all the opportunities I have. Not only has it allowed me to see and do a lot of really amazing things, but to meet a lot of spectacular people who have helped expand my views and broaden my understanding of this hugely small world. I’m also extremely grateful for all the amazing friends and family I have who continue to support me through all the times, good and bad. These last 3 weeks were definitely rushed, but I’m just in awe by how deep relationships between people can go. It makes saying goodbye again so soon a little bit easier.

Fresh off the plane!

Such good friends <3

Family reunion!

No comments:

Post a Comment